Amigurumi Tutorial 1

Filed under: Crochet,Techniques,Crochet,Tutorials — Alicia @ March 22, 2008

This tutorial is for all of you knitters who wish to learn how to make amigurumis. In the first part of this tutorial I’ll go over the basic crochet techniques you need to master. I know most people are visual learners, so I’m using a lot of videos (they may take some time to load).

Step 1: How to hold your yarn (make a chain too)

If you are a thrower (hold your yarn in your right hand), you’ll have to learn to hold your yarn on the left. It will feel awkward, but with time it will become easier. The following video shows you how to hold your yarn and make a chain. This is how I hold the yarn and hook, but you need to find what feels natural to you.

Sorry, you need flash to see the video

Step 2: Single crochet, increasing and decreasing

Most amigurumis are done in spirals of single crochets. You must to master this basic stitch. I recommend practicing it by going back a forward before you start doing spirals. First do a chain, and then do some rows of single crochets. One of may favorite amigurumi patterns requires to start from a chain, so it’s not a bad idea to learn how to do it.

Sorry, you need flash to see the video

In order to give shape to your creations you need to increase and decrease. Here’s how to increase:

Sorry, you need flash to see the video

And here is how to decrease:

Sorry, you need flash to see the video

Another way to decrease is to skip a stitch, but I find that that leaves a gap.

Setp 3: Single Crochet in Spirals to make a ball

There are two ways in which you can crochet in the round. One is by making a loop with a chain of 2 or 4 stitches, the other is with an adjustable ring. Start with the chain method, and once you are comfortable single crocheting in the round, try to move on to the adjustable ring (it makes a much neater project).

In the following video you can see how to make a circle, starting with a chain of 2. Notice how at the end you have small hole in the center.

Sorry, you need flash to see the video

The magic ring technique lets you make an initial ring that you can tighten so there is no hole in the center. Just make sure you don’t make the stitches in the ring too tight.

Sorry, you need flash to see the video

In part 2 of this tutorial I’ll teach you how to read amigurumi patterns. In the mean time, make some single crochet dish cloths.

Go to Amigurumi Tutorial 2, Amigurumi Tutorial 3

Further Reading

56 Comments

1. did this the last time in school… i’ll try it tommorrow! thx for the tutorial

Comment by Florian — March 22, 2008 @ 5:56 pm

2. You make me want to try crocheting (for the second time). Well done!

Comment by misstea — March 23, 2008 @ 7:58 pm

3. I love you!!!
    I wanted for so long to learn how to do amigurumis, but with just knowing how to chain, well, it is not enough.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment by Delia — March 24, 2008 @ 8:53 pm

4. this is an absolutely fantastic site – you taught me to crochet and having it specifically for amiguri has been a godsend! saved alot of surfing!

Comment by dee — April 29, 2008 @ 4:41 am

5. Thank you thank you thank you thank you! The videos are awesome. I’m so grateful for your time in putting it all together!

Comment by Mallika — May 7, 2008 @ 4:57 am

6. [...] to begin when it comes to crochet? Make sure to check out Hook and Needles excellent beginner tutorial on making [...]

Pingback by Amigurumi vegetables | Crafterbation — May 13, 2008 @ 3:15 am

7. [...] Amigurumi Tutorial 1 (learn how to crochet) | Hook and Needles: Knitting and Crochet Blog (cool stuf… Hmmm, doubt I’ll get the time for this but here’s hoping (tags: knitting crafts) [...]

Pingback by links for 2008-05-29 « Tim’s Zen Blog of Sparseness — May 28, 2008 @ 11:35 pm

8. Thank you so much! I learned I was decreasing all wrong! Thanks for your help! :D

Comment by Anna — June 22, 2008 @ 10:25 am

9. Love your videos, they are so helpful. I’m an amateur at crocheting and I’ve only made a scarf before using the increasing method. I actually don’t know how to read patterns yet so I’ll be following along on your site. Thanks so much for putting all this up.

Comment by Karen — July 6, 2008 @ 1:56 am

10. Your videos are terrific! The instructions that I read made no sense until I saw your fingers in action, now all is clear and I am starting on my first ami tonight! Thanks!

Comment by Patty — July 8, 2008 @ 7:33 pm

11. [...] to crochet, so hopefully we’ll see something soon. Fo-kasu linked me this awesome tutorial on how to crochet Amigurumi, but if you’re not interested in making Amigurumi, you’re crazy and it’s a good [...]

Pingback by I promised these… « love machine — July 12, 2008 @ 1:38 am

12. [...] materiale da spulciare, e per chi vuole cimentarsi esistono numerosi tutorials. Ad esempio qui e qui (sono in [...]

Pingback by Gli Amigurumi di Rita « Il Blog della Simo — July 13, 2008 @ 10:23 am

13. [...] http://www.hookandneedles.com/2008/03/22/amigurumi-tutorial-1/ [...]

Pingback by Pattern time!! « gnat on the windshield — July 15, 2008 @ 12:17 pm

14. Oh my gosh…thank you SO much! I have NEVER been able to understand how to increase and decrease by reading tutorials and now…I completly get it! Thank you so so soooo much!

Comment by Elissa — July 15, 2008 @ 6:40 pm

15. [...] you want to make one of these little guys but haven’t the faintest idea how, there’s a really great three-part tutoria over at Hook & Needles which will give you all th… (not the actual hooks and yarn, but the skills to eventually reach cuddle worthy satisfaction with [...]

Pingback by Fly away, my sweet… « Kraftworkin — August 20, 2008 @ 8:52 am

16. Thank you soo much for the tutorial…I always wanted to learn to crochet, and thanks to your awesome videos I made my very first amirugumi last weekend…I’m very proud of myself and very happy with the kitty I made.

Comment by May — August 20, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

17. Love the Magic Ring tutorial! That was the thing I needed most! Thanks!

Comment by shere — August 31, 2008 @ 7:20 am

18. l’love your tutorial. As l’m brazilian l have some dificults with the english, but your tape are great! Thank you, kss, vilma

Comment by vilma vianna — August 31, 2008 @ 9:00 am

19. Hi, thank you s much for making these tutorials I have been searching for ages for exactly this. I really wanted to make amigurumi but could only really get as far as chaining and single crochet from library books and web tutorails. Thank you, thank you!!

Comment by Ali — September 10, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

20. Fabulous – absolutely wonderful site. thank you!

Comment by Newfan — September 11, 2008 @ 4:39 am

21. Fabulous tutorial. Thank you.
    I just started crochet a short while ago & have been learning from the book. When i saw your tutorial on making the magic ring, it looks so easy. And you only wrap it around a few fingers. When i did mine, I wrap the thread all over my fingers so i must keep on releasing the thread after a few stitch. Next time i’ll definitely try your method. You made it look so easy. What other tricks do you have? Please share.

Comment by Nita — September 16, 2008 @ 1:51 am

22. Wow, these are wonderful videos! They are EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for! Thank you SO very much!!!

Comment by Katherine — September 21, 2008 @ 12:08 pm

23. These videos are awesome. They pushed me over the edge from “Hmm, I kinda wish I could do that” to “Look I made an octopus!!” Thank you so much for making it so simple. :)

Comment by Kimi — September 23, 2008 @ 11:20 pm

24. Thank you for making this so beautifully easy. As a visual learner myself, this has made crochet a hella lot easier. Thanks again :)

Comment by Erin — October 1, 2008 @ 1:19 pm

25. Thank you for your wonderful tutorials. I have been wanting to make amigurumis for awhile and I have watched a lot of videos online and I’ve checked out a lot of books at the library, but I can just never seem to get the hang of things. Your videos are clear and your instructions are great. Thank you!

Comment by Kelly — October 2, 2008 @ 10:45 pm

26. I wanted to thank you for created video with instructions since I’m mild learning disabled. Had some trouble understanding till saw this video. I never get that part 2togs till now. Thanks! :)

Comment by Christina — October 24, 2008 @ 11:54 am

27. [...] Hooks and Needles, I mean: even I can read this pattern!!! On this last site you can find other amigurumi tutorials as well, I will have  a [...]

Pingback by Just Dolls » Blog Archive » Amigurumi dolls — November 1, 2008 @ 8:29 am

28. Thank you so much for these videos! They were excellent help!!!

Comment by Stephanie — November 5, 2008 @ 11:46 am

29. [...] (Tutorial 1 Tutorial 2) [...]

Pingback by » There’s a Bluebird on My Shoulder! Teacups and Toasters — November 5, 2008 @ 3:22 pm

30. Wow, thank you! Now I can learn to crochet with your website! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Comment by Tracy — November 16, 2008 @ 10:25 pm

31. Finally, a tutorial that actually works! Ive been trying to figure this out all night until i chanced upon your website. Thanks Alicia!

Comment by SY — November 22, 2008 @ 11:07 am

32. Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial. It’s really easy to follow, much better than just photos which never let you really see where the hook has to go, or which side is the tail end.. << I recommended it to friends all over the place, heheh.

Last time I crocheted was at school, more than 20 years ago, but now I’ve started on an army of tinytiny octopii~!

Comment by Sandra — December 5, 2008 @ 4:06 pm

33. Thank you soooo much for this tutarial. I learn easyly. I never make before crochet. And now I made with your help my first amigurumi:) THANK YOUUUU

Comment by Belgin — December 12, 2008 @ 4:06 am

34. do you now what “dc” means?
    I dont understand this:
    ” Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc across. (8 sc)
    Row 45: Ch 3, turn, 1 dc in same sc (2 dc counting ch 3), 2 dc in each sc across. (16 dc) ”
    Please helppp mee:))

Comment by Belgin — December 15, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

35. sorry I ask wrong, dc is double crochet, “2 dc counting ch 3″,I dont understand this one.Sorry,about my english, I understand but cant speak very well.
    Thanks again

Comment by Belgin — December 15, 2008 @ 6:07 pm

36. Thank you very much for this tutorial! I have watched this and the other 2 sections on tutorials quite a bit and have finally gotten the hang of crocheting in the round. Thanks!!!!

Comment by Ting — December 31, 2008 @ 7:33 am

37. [...] you to become comfortable with some of the basics you’ll need to get started.  The site hookandneedles.com has several good videos on the basic stitches including Chain Stitch which is used for most [...]

Pingback by Wire Crochet 4 Part series in the works « An Artful Mind — January 7, 2009 @ 3:10 am

38. i learned the basics forever ago and i forgot some of them but when i saw amugurumis i wanted to pick up crocheting again. i’ve always done it by hand since i’ve never had hooks [and with everything too, if i'm bored enough i'll crochet my headphone wire.] but i never went through with my lessons long enough to learn things like several rows and shaping, so thanks c:

Comment by angie — January 10, 2009 @ 12:30 am

39. Thanks for this :) it really helped me a lot in doing amigurumi dolls :)

Comment by Ynna Villareal — January 10, 2009 @ 4:51 am

40. [...] a great little starter, you might want to take in the first few videos located at a site called  HookAndNeedles.com which has several instructional videos that not only step you through creating the chain stitch but [...]

Pingback by From Wire to “Bling” - Learn to Crochet wire jewelry (Part 1 of a 4 part series) « An Artful Mind — January 13, 2009 @ 10:30 pm

41. Thank you so very much!

I’ve been crocheting for years and only within the last few months have learned to do it the right way, before I just did whatever and now I know the names and was taught by someone who knows what they are doing. I’ve been looking online for weeks now for a very good instruction video on circles and couldn’t keep up. Yours was the PERFECT pace!! I got my circle with both versions.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Keep up the good work.

Comment by Ericka — January 22, 2009 @ 1:44 am

42. oh my god! i never thought i’d be able to get the stitches down. this is just what i needed. now i think i will actually be able to make my own amigurumi! thank you so much and don’t stop the tutorials!

Comment by Jen D — January 22, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

43. Alicia, thank you so very much for this tutorial! I am very appreciative of the time and effort that you put into this. Your instructions are clear (I’ve searched for ages and been stumped and frustrated by what little instruction I did find), your voice is soothing and melodic, too! Many thanks to you again.

Comment by Anna — February 4, 2009 @ 2:57 pm

44. [...] dersi gerekiyorsa bu sitenin videolarından da faydalanabilirsiniz. [...]

Pingback by RAFADAN « Amigurumi, örgü oyuncaklar — March 15, 2009 @ 8:30 am

45. Hi. I was wondering. Do you have a hook size to recommend with the yarns you’re using? ^_^

Comment by SephXIII — March 22, 2009 @ 1:41 am

46. Hello Alicia, and a great big THANKS to you !
    I’ve bought some amigurumi books to learn how to make them, but your explanations are much more clear, your voice is so reassuring, and the filming is so good and precise !
    You can be sure I’ll recommend your site to anyone who wants to start crochet : you make it seem so easy !
    Thank-you :)

Comment by Chantal — March 24, 2009 @ 8:48 am

47. [...] able to move around that much, I got a lot done! Counter intuitive, eh? I found this website, Hooks and Needles, with AWESOME videos for making amigurumi. I learned a lot, like I have been doing the single [...]

Pingback by Fuzzy Wuzzy Gaming – The Domestic Scientist — March 30, 2009 @ 7:06 am

48. [...] about her ventures in learning the art of amigurumi. she posted a link to some video tutorials on Hooks and Needles. i’ve watched so many how-to-crochet videos over the winter and i just could not understand [...]

Pingback by SAAAAAM — March 30, 2009 @ 11:53 pm

49. Arigurumi…

So,
    I’ve picked up crocheting.
    and I’m learning arigurumi,
    so I can make amazing cute little dolls.
    I found this amazing website that has
    video tutorials, and I’m learning fast.
    Loves it.

Hooks and Needles

And I found a store in the mal…

Trackback by betty's knit sew lame — April 1, 2009 @ 11:07 am

50. [...] som för närvarande mest ser ut som en dåligt uppblåst ballong. Men det är roligt! Tack vare tutorials har jag börjat begripa principen. Det är pilligare och kräver mer tänk och räknande än [...]

Pingback by En sakletares bekännelser » Amigurumi — April 5, 2009 @ 3:32 pm

51. Wow you teach it so well. Thank you soooo much. I am addicted to crocheting. Gracias

Comment by Charyl — April 24, 2009 @ 9:37 pm

52. Thank you for this wonderful post. I bought a book about amigurumi but the explanations were to limited. Especially the magic ring proved impossible to understand in the book. It was very discouraging for a beginner like me. Your video about it shows it so clear. Thank you, you’ve been a great help.

Comment by Tilia Linden — May 4, 2009 @ 4:17 pm

53. [...] http://www.hookandneedles.com/2008/03/22/amigurumi-tutorial-1/ [...]

Pingback by 101 things » 23. Amigurumi leren — May 6, 2009 @ 8:06 am

54. I can’t even figure out how to do the first part. I get it until she says pull it through the loop. What loop?

Comment by Sydney — May 6, 2009 @ 2:29 pm

55. Finally! I realized what I was doing wrong.

Comment by Sydney — May 6, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

56. [...] a great way to learn and practice crocheting in a spiral and increase/decrease. ***EDIT*** found this great tutorial with vids and everything, for those wanting to learn the basics for crocheting amigurumi. *** Since I was just practicing, I [...]

Pingback by have a happy poo! « lunar craft — May 7, 2009 @ 7:38 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress | Alicia Ramirez © 2008